Two interesting pianos

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 06:37:40 EST

David writes:

>  The owners are considering a full restoration job and the piano will
>need a new board and block.  Two initial questions:  What is the general
>nature of the block/plate construction and fit?  And is the soundboard
>design I have attempted to describe worth trying to duplicate?

I had Steinway and Sons "restore" a piano like this, 9' Rosewood, 88 notes,
etc.  The main problem is that the pinblock isn't covered by the plate and
there is nothing to keep the string tension from pulling it up in the middle.
 We have almost 3/4" bulge in this piano now, and I only have it A-432.  It
seems that the factory found this wasn't a workable design because they sure
left it in a hurry.
    I think the pinblock plate connection is the weak link,  don't know that
the soundboard replacement is anything particularly strange.  All in all, it
doesn't produce the kind of sound of a modern D.
Regards,
Ed Foote