Drilling Pin Block/Ron/Fun

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 21:54:08 -0600

>Wow - hovercraft! What'll they think of next?! This is awesome. Does it seem
>as though it had to be fairly well balanced to have the hovercraft
>levitation function well? At what psi does levitation occur?

Around 20. I usually run it at about 60psi so it will float a tad higher
and not trip on the surface irregularities.

>I see you have a radial drill press. In your opinion, what advantage(s) does
>the radial press offer over a conventional press in this application? What
>size is your press (hp or whatever)? Thanks.
>
>Terry Farrell

You can slide the head and motor fore and aft in the mount to balance it so
it will hover at it's best. Note that I have a formed wire "hoist point" on
top so I can take the drill press off of the vertical post of the pinblock
drilling base and take it back over to the bench, where I can set it back
on it's original base, using an old fence stretcher (rope and pulleys)
without having to lift it overhead at arms length. Helps to get it off
again for the next pin block too. On the bench, I use it to drill hammers,
and anything else you would use a drill press for, as well as a thing or
two you shouldn't. Since I drill bridges on the bench with the same drill
press, I like the fact that the radial tilts too.

It's a 16" radial, 1/2 hp, and a very versatile tool.

Ron N