Pinblock drilling setup

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:03:53 -0500

I can think of two simple ways we did this in my shop.  One way was to have
a dedicated drill press for pinblock drilling. The head mounted to a short
pipe. The stand was mounted (shimmed) on a piece of 3/4 plywood at a 5
degree angle.  (although I like Joe's idea of a hinged board with the angle
being adjusted with bolts.)  We just laid another piece of 3/4 inch plywood
(2 x 6 feet) across the piano and slid the drill press along the board.  We
also taped the air compressor nozzle to the drill press so the drill bit
remained cool.

The other way, before we had a dedicated drill press, was to find a pipe the
exact diameter of the standing drill press stand, cut a piece about  2 feet
long and mount it with a pipe flange to the shimmed board like above.  That
way, we just took the drill head off the floor stand and mounted it to the
smaller pinblock drilling stand.  Again, keep the drill bit cool and change
bits every other pinblock.

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt MARYLAND home of those magnificent Terps!