Bridge pin hole placement

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:03:36 -0500 (EST)

  Placing bridge pin holes on a new cap.

  I normally attempt to copy everything as
it was originally for better or worse.
 In this case, much to my dismay,
the new bridge is a couple mm right of its original
position, and I need to move the templates left a bit
to compensate anyway, there is room.
 In critically looking at the old caps I am realizing
that what was there was not so great.  Bass bridge
pins were not in a straight line, low tenor seemed to
the left of ideal.

  A straight line from where the string leaves the
V bar to the hitch pin should pass through the center
of the holes, yes. And the bearing is created by the
width of the pin pushing the string in opposing
directions.  OK.....

   I've seen lots of side bearing on the top pin and
hardly touching the bottom pin at low tenor. The
original string markings indicate this in the old cap
at the very bottom of the tenor.
Lots at the top, none at the bottom.

Questions...

  1) How far off the ideal line to the hitch pin
     is too far.

  2) Is it normal practice to favor more side bearing
     on the upper pin, leaving the bottom to just
     hug the pin.

                            Dave Renaud