Extracting Action Screw

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 19:35:35 -0500

At 04:12 PM 4/3/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi List
>
>Believe it or not after 15 years in the business, for the first time, I
>have broken two action holding screws.  They are the cheap kind put in the
>Wurlizer Spinets about the size of a #8 wood screw but about 5 inches
>long.  I have heard other people talk about breaking them but forgot the
>details.

I've tried a few ways. One was to cut a slot in the end with a Dremel tool
and remove with a screw driver. This way was time consuming.
But when that failed on one, it lead me to a better extraction. Find a hex
head bit a little smaller than the shank and pound it on, be careful
not to damage the hex shaft end so you can get the handle or ratchet on it.

Replace with a long screw :-)    The local building supply store carries
these long hex head screws for landscape ties.  They are also good
for reinforcing a crack in the case on the bass side of a grand.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com