Stubborn bushings update

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:46:22 +0200

I talk of steaming wter & oxalic acid directly of course.

Isaac OLEG
  We had a set of key bushings to change and found that the old ones were
put in with white glue.  We soaked them in white vinegar. Then we steamed
them.  They came out best when still very warm. Steaming alone did not work
well.  We tried the bushing removal iron, but it didn't do as well as the
above combination. We thought at first it was super glue. Chisaling them
seemed the only solution. Then I remembered vinegar.

  Paul Chick
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
    To: pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 9:07 PM
    Subject: Re: Stubborn bushings

    In a message dated 4/3/2002 2:54:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,

      Subj:Stubborn bushings
      Date:4/3/2002 2:54:32 PM Pacific Standard Time
      From:pdtek@mchsi.com
      Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
      To:pianotech@ptg.org
      Sent from the Internet

      Dave wrote
      Well, I've never had this much trouble removing key bushings. Just a
little water and wall paper remover and they practically fall off. Maybe a
little heat for some, but these are completely fused to the wood. As one.
The few I have removed have come off with a thin layer of wood. I dropped
the bushing into the solution and after soaking you still couldn't pick the
wood apart from the felt.
      Is there a way to remove these without any wood or am I just going to
have to remove some wood and use thicker bushing cloth?
for this application should be abundantly clear. If you can't thank a
factory for this condition how bout a fellow tech? I rest my case.