Scale tension

Fri, 05 Apr 2002 11:21:59 +0200

We just put a new set of Origional S&S hammers on a B here, the older ones
were very hard and packed down... but we hadnt experienced string breakage
for a long time and its not really been a problem on this instrument... but
when the new hammers went on (they were quite a bit softer even before
needling) whammo... suddenly 4 unisisons in the top octave and a half
busted.

After voicing (which required a bit of juice in the top octave) and a bit
of shaping there have been no more string breakage.

So ....like Wim asks... what causes the strings to break ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.