Quick action lubrication: was Re: Slick Key Bushings.

Fri, 5 Apr 2002 22:48:48 -0800

Follow up to my last post.  I routinely lubricate the key pins and bushings
with Protek (part of my new 1.5 hour service call).  The easiest and fastest
way (when you can't or don't want to take the time to remove the keys and
polish) is to pull the action (grand piano) and stand it up with the back
rail resting on the key bed.  With a hypo oiler put a few drops per pin on
the front rail pin and let it run up into the bushing.  For the sharps you
have to sharpen your aim and do it "bombs away" style unless you have an
extension applicator that will reach.  With the action still standing up,
use McLube (or your spray lube of choice) and spray the bottom of the front
and back rail, the glides and the right side of the frame that contacts the
return spring.  Before you lay the action down spray the key bed under the
front rail.  Lay the action back down when you are done, slide it out
slightly and reach in with the can of McLube and spray the tops of the glide
bolt dowels, the key bed under the back rail, and the return spring.  Slide
the action back in a bit and put a few drops of Protek on top of each
balance rail pin and let it run down.  Use a piece of cut hammer felt to
apply microfine teflon to the knuckles and spray the tops of the jacks with
McLube.  The whole procedure takes about 5-10 minutes.  I think that in
general nothing will make the action feel better faster than lubricating it.
Most customers will immediately notice the difference.

David Love