Knabe Bridge Repair

Gary Teters garylteters@prodigy.net
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 13:54:28 -0800

Long time listener, second time caller. I'm moving a little deeper in my piano work. I've mainly been working on my tuning skills and minor piano repair and regulation. While I'm sure this will be minor to most of you it's new to me.
    The piano in question is from the 1890's.  Knabe grand, 6'1" with a third bridge riding piggyback  on the treble bridge near the lower end . Ser#38068 or so. I'm repairing small cracks in the bridge. I would like to sand the upper surface to remove the string grooves, renotch and epoxy in new pins. I noticed on this piano that the pins holes on the speaking side are set at the edge of the notch, so the pin actually is completely  off the top of the bridge. The notch does not run through the center of the holes, it just plain misses them all together.
.  The pins on the back side are drilled to set completely on the upper surface of the bridge, just inside the notch. Sort of like it was all done by machine and it was set wrong. Maybe? I have a friend with a Knabe concert grand with a serial number just 20 from mine so it must have been built about the same time. I looked at his and it was the same way. Is this by design? Does it contribute something to the sound quality (or lack of)? I would like to do it the correct way.  Any suggestions.   Thanks ,  Gary Teters