Let off

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:12:20 EDT

Hazen writes:
>,the easist way to get consistent let-off
>close,is to set till it blocks,and back off a half turn.

       That half a turn can mean many different things when the buttons are
not perfectly level, or the felt has been worn in one or two places.   I
prefer to set it to the lightest blocking, then turn down till it doesn't
allow the hammer to contact the moving string when the sostenuto holds the
damper up and the note is struck twice, very rapidly before the hammer is
then brought up to let-off. This sets let-off right below the maximum
excursion zone of the string.
   In the top treble, this doesn't work, since the zone is so small.  In
those areas, i set it by feel,with a very steady and slow depression of the
key. Begin by letting it ghost the string, and then while trying to continue
that feeling, turn it down until the let-off becomes "transparent".
Regards,
Ed Foote