Phone Marketers

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sun, 07 Apr 2002 20:19:29 -0700

<Off Topic>

You bring up a very interesting point Carl.  When these computers call
you and you answer it is my understanding that whether you hang up or
not the system "bookmarks" your number as being legitimate.  Thus you
have been added to the "A" list for future calls.  It is also my
understanding that if you actually talk to someone they can attach a
file to your number describing your reaction to the call and if you
might be likely to buy something from them in the future.  In other
words you are tagged and the rave goes on.  What's worse they may sell
your number to other services and the whole thing escalates.

I am wondering if there is a way to purge the system of your
information?  I have heard about this thingy that you can connect to
your line that you activate when a marketer calls that can erase your
number from their list but I have never heard of any confirmation as to
whether or not it works.  It seems to me that at the rate these people
continue to infringe on us the legal system had better do something
quickly to impose sizable and enforceable penalties on this crap.  The
ACLU idiots (Arrogant Communist Losers Union), calls it "freedom of
speech" and continues to hinder any fast legal resolution.  Last I
checked the right to privacy had nothing to do with the first amendment.
 I guess we'll have to continue fighting fire with fire for awhile.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV