Let off

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Sun, 07 Apr 2002 20:53:51 -0700

Humm . . . I know that this is a slightly different question, but what is
wrong with setting the let-off as high as possible? I have a 9-foot at home
that I try to keep as high as possible. I usually set the let-off so that
the hammers, when slowly lifted a second time, no longer touch/mute the
string. This is generally much less that 1/16. Understandably this could
only be used for 'concert level' pianos that are constantly monitored.

Am I missing something? Isn't closer better? Just as long as the hammers
don't block the strings. I really don't get the 'three times the thickness
of the core' thing. That seems like a lot of lost power and control. Or is
that just a good 'standard' for pianos that are never regulated?

Bradley M. Snook