Phone Marketers

Ray T. Bentley ray@Bentley.net
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 06:13:58 -0500

www.ray.bentley.net

The difficult, I do right away.  The impossible takes a little longer!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Goodale" <rrg@unlv.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 10:19 PM
Subject: Phone Marketers

> <Off Topic>
>
> You bring up a very interesting point Carl.  When these computers call
> you and you answer it is my understanding that whether you hang up or
> not the system "bookmarks" your number as being legitimate.  Thus you
> have been added to the "A" list for future calls.  It is also my
> understanding that if you actually talk to someone they can attach a
> file to your number describing your reaction to the call and if you
> might be likely to buy something from them in the future.  In other
> words you are tagged and the rave goes on.  What's worse they may sell
> your number to other services and the whole thing escalates.
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to purge the system of your
> information?  I have heard about this thingy that you can connect to
> your line that you activate when a marketer calls that can erase your
> number from their list but I have never heard of any confirmation as to
> whether or not it works.  It seems to me that at the rate these people
> continue to infringe on us the legal system had better do something
> quickly to impose sizable and enforceable penalties on this crap.  The
> ACLU idiots (Arrogant Communist Losers Union), calls it "freedom of
> speech" and continues to hinder any fast legal resolution.  Last I
> checked the right to privacy had nothing to do with the first amendment.
>  I guess we'll have to continue fighting fire with fire for awhile.
>
> Rob Goodale, RPT
> Las Vegas, NV
>

> Carl Meyer wrote:
>
> >There is a number to call (haven't done it yet, but will) to be taken off
calling lists.  It is 1-212-768-7277.  Telephone preference service c/o
Direct Marketing Assoc. P.O. box 9014 Framingham NY,11735.  Supposed to last
for 10 years, but may take up to 60 days to take effect.  Interesting,  we
have the ultimate in fast communication but it takes them 60 days to talk to
each other.  The pony express was faster.