Phone Marketers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 07:28:22 -0400

I just use the following line: "This is a business. My billing rate is $75 per hour for consultation. To whom should I direct an invoice for this consultation?" The conversation stops pretty quickly.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Kanter" <jkanter@rollingball.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 12:17 AM
Subject: Re: Phone Marketers

>From http://www.junkbusters.com/ht/en/script.html

JUNKBUSTERS Anti-Telemarketing Script

Telemarketers always use a script: why shouldn't you?

What to say when they call if you don't want junk calls

Every time you get a call you consider junk, just ask the questions in this
script. If they answer no, you may be able to sue them. You can print copies
of it to keep by every phone at home. If everyone follows it, the junk calls
will slowly but surely drop off.

1.    ``Are you calling to sell something?'' (or ``is this a telemarketing
call?'')
2.    ``Could you tell me your full name please?'' $
3.    ``And a phone number, area code first?'' $
4.    ``What's the name of the organization you're calling for?'' $
5.    ``Does that organization keep a list of numbers it's been asked not to
call?'' $
6.    ``I would like my number(s) put on that list. Can you take care of
that now?'' $
7.    ``And does the company you work for also make telemarketing calls for
any other organizations?'' (If they answer no, skip the next question.)
8.    (If yes) ``Can you make sure your company won't call me for any other
organization?'' $

You may need to ask to speak with a supervisor if they sound lost. When
you're ready to let them off, you might close with ``Is it clear that I
never want telemarketing calls from anyone?'' and just say goodbye. If you
feel like making them pay, keep going:

1.    ``Will your company keep my number on its do-not-call list for at
least ten years?'' $
2.    ``And does your company have a written policy that says that on
paper?'' $
3.    ``Can you send me a copy of it?'' $
4.    ``What's your supervisor's first and last name?''
5.    ``What's your employer's business name, address and main telephone
number?''
6.    ``Are you calling for a tax-exempt nonprofit organization?''
7.    ``Is this call based on a previously established business
relationship?''
Before hanging up, check you have all their answers written down, then say
goodbye. Add the date and time to your record. (Is it between 8 a.m. and 9
p.m.? $)

Disclaimer: nothing here should be taken as legal advice. If they answer no
to any question ending in ``$'' you may be able to sue them for $500-$1500
under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. But if the answer to either of
the last two questions is yes, then the Act doesn't consider the call to be
a solicitation, so it's not covered by many of its regulations. Also
excluded are calls to business numbers. For more details, see our pages on
federal laws and on how to reduce telemarketing calls andjunk mail.
JUNKBUSTERS DECLARE makes it easy to tell companies not sell your phone
number to telemarketers, and to request the Direct Marketing Association's
Telephone Preference Service.

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799