Let off

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 11:35:36 -0400

> I wonder if anyone on the list has tried to measure the
> "power loss" associated with wider let off dimensions?

Very little power loss.  What is more important is the pianist must lift
the finger higher to get a repetition.  The drop must be lowered a bit
which increases "after touch" a bit.

Mechanically speaking (supposedly) the action was optimized to function
with a specific set of values for each adjustment.  The reality is that
the regulator needs to find those specs for that action.

With a good set of rigid keys, stiff shanks, bedded keyframe, etc., the
closer let-of can be.  Given some actions have less good stuff the lower
the let-off needs to be.

I found an August Forester grand where the let-off could not be any
closer than 1/8" or the hammers would block.  I was not comfortable with
that but I had no other choice.

What spec is used is far less important that absolute consistency in the
specs used.

		Newton