plate plugging

David Foster pno2nr@hotmail.com
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 18:17:19 -0400

List,

When tuning yet another Steinway grand with a loose A-0 tuning pin, I was
daydreaming about ways this problem could be corrected during rebuilding.
It seems to me that the reason behind the problem is that the tuning pin is
way too close to the flange edge of the block.  I thought that reconfiguring
the pattern of the lowest four tuning pins to be staggered instead of in a
straight line would fix things just fine.  Well, drilling new holes in the
plate before regilding would not be that big a problem, BUT...   How, or
with what do I plug the original holes?  I would prefer the original holes
to really  "disappear" for cosmetic reasons.

Has anyone done/thought about doing this?   And, does anyone else think this
would be a good thing to do?

Dave Foster