Has anyone ever heard of a "Jazz" tuning?

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:36:48 -0700

Mr. Bremmer,=20

    My original posting suggesting ET with lots of stretch was based on =
two factors.=20

1)  I've tuned for a lot of Jazz artists, and they practically have to =
beg me for the amount of stretch they want; way more than I usually =
like, but it's jazz, I figure, and they like that "lively" sound.=20

2)  I suggested ET, because I believe HTs are better at music that is =
more "consonous", if that's a word. Harmonious might be better, but what =
I mean is music that is played in sonorous key signatures, where you can =
really appreciate the tonal color. I am not about to try to calculate =
all the different beat rates that would occur on certain intervals that =
are already wide when a Dflat5flat9 or something like it is played in =
some key like c#.

    Glad you've had so much success with it, though.=20

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com

    In=20
    contrast to what Mr. Bremmer has suggested, I think jazz is best =
served by=20
    ET.  Maintaining the continuity of character of altered chords in =
various=20
    keys, I think, is a benefit that is served not only by an equal =
temperament,=20
    but from one that is not overly stretched.  A cleaner tuning will =
keep the=20
    thirds more in check so that the dissonances brought out by the =
liberal use=20
    of 2nd's, 9ths, 7ths, etc.,  will bring more color and contrast

  Well, in spite of this opinion, I've used HT's and the EBVT with =
Tempered Octaves for Jazz for 15 years, never having once heard a =
complaint about it but instead, praise for how "in tune" and clear the =
music sounds.  ET will do what it does to all other music:  neutralize =
all harmony.  Yes, some people are used to this and like it.  But a well =
chosen HT or my EBVT give the music a texture which most people will =
prefer.  The insistance upon ET by technicians who adhere to the one and =
only, no option ideas taught for the entire 20th Century as being =
correct forces a particular sound upon the piano and the music which is =
not supported by the music itself.=20

  Minimal stretch will make the treble sound dull, flat and =
uninteresting to the audience for Jazz as it would many other types of =
music.  Circumstances vary and stretch can, of course be overdone.  A =
closely miked piano for a recording is one circumstance, a noisy =
nightclub is another.=20

  Recently, I was the technician for a new Jazz CD which will be on the =
market soon.  I used the EBVT with Tempered octaves.  The musicians were =
all from New York and praised the "crystal clear" sound of the 2 pianos =
used.  I would not hesitate to offer this kind of tuning in contrast to =
ET with minimally stretched octaves for any kind of music, no matter =
what it is.  It would appeal to most people over ET by a very =
comfortable margin in any and all circumstances.  Over a decade of trial =
and experience has confirmed this.=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20
  Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =3D-