Workbench Heights

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:58:33 -0700

All,
I recall reading, in an olde woodworking text, that the height for a
craftsman's work bench should be that mid-point between the elbow and the
wrist. This, of course, is if you stand to do whatever work the bench is
allotted for. I have a workbench, (my design), that is to that spec. When I
need to sit at it, I have an adjustable stool w/backrest. This seems to work
well, for me. If anyone is interested in the plans, I would be willing to
send them to you via either fax or snail mail.
This bench is Expensive, (as work benches go), but it would be the pride of
the shop and a legacy for many generations. (At least that's what I had in
mind when I designed it.) It can be disassembled in 20 minutes to facilitate
moving, but is WAAAAAY too heavy for casters, etc. The mass was intentional,
as I really hate working on a bench that wiggles.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)