Has anyone heard of or used Sama Rebuilders

Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 20:00:22 -0600

Lanie,
    There are a few posts in the archives, but I'll give you the quick version:

SAMA rebuilders is a "twin-plant" type operation, based in El Paso, Texas.
The work is performed (mainly) in Juarez, Mexico, by former Baldwin
workers. The plant is run by Salvador Ortiz, who was with Baldwin for 29
years. They have, over the last few years, completely re-manufactured
around 900 pianos. The marketing office is in Bloomfield. Everything else
is out here.

Pluses and minuses, of course, but overall they are a real good
value.  Belly work is very well done, with good stringing, sound board
repair, refinish, and outstanding plate finish. Again, a good value for the
tech that doesn't want to do any more than the action, but can sell a
bigger job.

I really couldn't say more, without sounding like a commercial. I've used
their services quite a bit, and I help out with technical support.

A visit to the plant is always welcome, and worth the trip. It is a plant,
not a shop, so be prepared to see rebuilding at a different pace, and with
a totally different style. They're shipping .... well... more than one a
day, with under forty people.

Come see,
Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft Stinkin' Desert, NM