Kawai Key Bushings/Jon Page

Jon Page jonpage2001@attbi.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:21:16 -0400

At 08:29 PM 4/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Tsk, Tsk, Jon,
>The bushing should always have a bend in it, because that is the bearing
>point. If it doesn't it will not function very well. Difficult to ease/size,
>etc. If the button has an under-cut slot, that slot should be free to accept
>the "tail" of the bushing cloth, which will follow the line of least
>resistance into it.
>When I rebush keys that do not have that "under-cut" I put the bend on top,
>by using the front rail cauls.
>Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Tsk, Tsk, Joe,
I seen rebushed balance rails with the cloth glued to the top as well, I
accounted it to lazy bladesmanship. I think it looks sloppy.

If the cloth did not pull out from the undercut, it is still glued in place
and will not fall out. The extra labor involved to remove it has no benefit,
but I suppose it is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, it gives you a
warm feeling but no one notices. <g>

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.