finishing equipment

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 05:39:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Wayne,

Here's what I use:

6HP Porter Cable compressor purchased at Lowe's
(competition of Home Depot), somewhere a little
over $300 if I remember.  I like it.  It's rated
as putting out 8.6 CFM @ 40 PSI which is enough
to keep up with my spray gun even with continuous
spraying.  It only has a 25 gal. tank, but it
seems to work very well.

Asturo ECO/S HVLP conversion spray gun.  It needs
about 7 CFM @ 21 PSI according to the
manufacturer.  (I think it needs a bit more, but
the compressor has no problem keeping up.)  I got
it from Homestead Finishing Products for around
$400.  Very low maintenance.

Also from Homestead Finishing Products:

Target (Oxford) Premium Spray Lacquer  WATER
BASED FINISH.  I like it!

3M 216u FreCut Gold sandpaper.  I like it!

I went the way I did because I needed a
compressor for other things including running air
tools, blowing out actions, etc.  I needed it to
be portable and to run on 110 volts.

I went with the Asturo conversion gun because I
have a lot of respect for Jeff Jewitt at
Homestead Finishing and don't have any reason to
think he'd sell me anything that wouldn't work.
That's the gun he recommended.  I does work well
once you figure out how to use it.  (It's not
that it's terribly complicated, only that I don't
have years of experience in spraying and until
recently had never worked with HVLP or water
based products.  Talk about a steep learning
curve!)  Cleans up with water.  Very easy to use.

No doubt there are a lot of options out there.  A
full turbine HVLP system worth bringing home is
gonna cost ya $$$$.  A standard high pressure
spray gun is still available, usually through
automotive finish type places.  (Lots of
overspray, and more maintenance.)  I think Binks
and DeVilbiss are owned by the same company now,
I can't remember who bought who.?   And
compressors and conversion guns...

If none of that interests you, you could always
explore hand finishing.  After all, French
polishing is beautiful.  ;-)  ... if you have the
time...  ;-)

Good luck,

Brian T.

=====