So whats wrong here ?

K.divad@AOL.COM K.divad@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:31:17 -0400

In a message dated Thu, 11 Apr 2002  3:27:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> writes:

>Newton Hunt wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> >  if I go for a shorter bore.. then I
>> > exasperate the problem with drop screws
>>
>> You are right, my foggy thinking, you will need a longer bore than what
>> you have.  Take the measurements and bore to the specs of the piano.
>>
>>                 Newton
>
>Grin... well thats the catcher....Measurements indicated also a shorter
>bore. Hence my er....confusion as it were. There seems to be something
>jiggered around that results in conflict of needs.  I'll look again today
>and see what I can figure out.
>
>again... what gets me is that drop screws are regulated way high...yet
>letoff buttons are in the middle basically... Normally there is at least a
>rough correspondence between these.. at least more then I am seeing here.
>

>--
>Richard Brekne
>RPT, N.P.T.F.
>Bergen, Norway
>mailto:rbrekne@broadpark.no
>http://home.broadpark.no/~rbrekne/ricmain.html

Richard, perhaps it is something as simple as a technician put more felt on top of the balancier lever to quiet the knock from the spring slapping the balancier against the drop screws (I can't think of any other reason this would be done).
I'm sure you would have seen this in your examination but over the years I have seen this on pianos that have come into the shop all
probably done by the same technician in this area who has many other unusual techniques.
David Koelzer
DFW