lost motion/ low humidity/plastic action

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:21:07 -0400

On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 08:07 AM, Tvak@AOL.COM wrote:

> I had always thought that lost motion that can develop in a low-humidity
> environment (i.e. the winter months here in Chicago) was due to the wood
> action parts drying out and shrinking.  I guess that's an incorrect
> assumption.

How about the keybed, balance rail, etc. I don't think those have gone
to plastic yet, and it's been my presumption that that is where the lost
motion is originating. Seasonal variation in the felt, and even
buckskin, may also be a factor, as you suggest.

Patrick Draine