A not so boring, boring dilemma

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:20:34 -0700

Jon:

Thanks for the input.  I ended up short boring everything by 1/8" for each
section to create uniform hammer/shank angle throughout.  Fortunately, I did
have the piano so finding the strike point (which varied from section to
section) did not require any running around.  As you suggested, I did not
retrofit the action with new wippens but kept the old rocker arm type which
work fine after a lot of cleaning and replacement of the bushing cloth which
connects to the key.

I am curious what you did about the "Viennese" style of weighting the keys.
The original BW's were quite high due to very sparse leading and very low
front weights throughout.  Though somewhat uneven, the low inertia seemed to
compensate for the high BW as the action did not feel particularly heavy.
After putting on a heavier hammer (I used an Abel concert grand hammer and
set the SW curve from just under 12 g down to about 6), I modified the
weigh-off to contemporary standard.  Since the action had relatively low
friction, I set the BW at 38 to keep the DW in the 51-47 range.

Whenever you get around to checking the new sheet I sent, let me know what
you think.  It's basically a simplified "Smart Chart", allowing you to
create a SW maximum curve by inputting the average SWR in a particular
system with the existing KR, FW maximum at various levels, and a targeted
BW.  I created a HW column to give me specific weights to shoot for when
boring, tapering and tailing the hammers (SW - 1.8 for Renner shanks, and
SW - 1.6 for Abel shanks).  The actual SW's can be modified later to smooth
out the curve in the manner you've described already.

I can see now why David S. aims for uniform SWR.  If you could manufacture
everything precisely enough to give uniform SWR's, you could then preset the
FW's and when replacing hammers, say, just match a precalculated SW curve.
Fortunately for us, manufacturing has a long way to go for that kind of
precision.  More games to make the job a bit more fun.

David