Export to US between privates

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:42:58 +0200

Hi List.

I wonder if this is the place for asking this.  If not, please ignore =
and receive my apologies.

In the case a private person from Europe sells a piano to a private =
person in US, is there any VAT charged at the customs in US ? Is there =
another kind of importing right to pay ?  And how does it work about the =
ban on ivory ? I heard that no ivory (even piano key tops) could get =
into US.  What if the piano is an antique (more than 100 years old) ? =
And what kind of document is sufficient for the customs to prove it is =
an antique ?

Many thanks.

St=E9phane Collin
(Brussels, Belgium)