Choosing the pianos

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:15:21 -0300

Hi,
I never thought I would feel the same way as below.
I now do.
I had one customer, whom I have been telling for years, that she either
needs another piano, or major work.
This last time she called me to tune it, she said, that one note would not
hold.
I went, and started tuning, changed the one pin, as it was being installed,
others dropped out. Ended up being 10. Part way through, another string
broke. Lots of pins were still just on the edge, and ready to drop.
She said to me, I should really look for another piano? I said yes, and to
give you a little more incentive, I won't be coming back to this one.
She said, how long will it last, I said, maybe till I get to the end of the
driveway, and there is no guarantee.
I explained to her, that normally, a piano with no problems is a pleasure to
tune, and I don't look at it as work. However, a piano with strings
breaking, and loose pins, puts me on edge. This edge I am on is actually a
stress level, and not a pleasure, therefore work.
I was probably not tactful, but what do you do, when they won't, or can't
heed your advice?

Regards,

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.