Fees - revisited

Ted Rohde rohde@pdnt.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:20:06 -0500

Ed Foote wrote:
      Time is all we have to sell, and when we run out of it, there isn't
any more, so I suggest that the only way to maximize your time's worth is to
constantly strive to do higher quality work and constantly raise your prices
to match.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Foote and List,
    Thanks for all your input...quite insightful.  But I QUITE RESPECTFULLY
(and I mean that, Mr. Foote) disagree with the above suggestion that time is
all we have to sell.  As I read the input week after week on this list, I
realize you have so much more to sell than time....namely knowledge.
    Bear with me...we have a well pump that had problems.  I had two service
people out who both repaired the problem only to have it return within a
short time.  I was referred to a man who had been in the well pump business
for MANY years.  I called him. Over the phone he asked what brand the pump
was.  I told him.  He asked "does it have a silver band on the back or a
black band on the back?"  I responded.  After a few more questions, he said
he would be out in a couple hours and get it fixed, which he did.  It took
him 20 minutes, one $10 part and a pair of pliers for which I GLADLY paid
his $110 bill.  He didn't sell his time...he sold 30 years of working his
field, knowing the problem, coming prepared for the job and getting out.
    You experienced techs are the same.  Y'all know that the 200 series
Yamahas from the 70's break bass strings and have to have low tension
replacements...Baldwin Spinets click at the grommets...don't replace just
one elbow on a Lester spinet...Steinway flange rails have to be
repaired...Samick let off buttons make noise sometimes...Story & Clark
pinblocks separate and have to be secured....golly, the list just goes on ad
infinitum (and I don't know why those came to mind, they just did).  We do a
disservice to ourselves if we assume we only have our time to sell.  That's
my point, I guess.  You all have so much more, in my opinion.  And that
knowledge has value far exceeding an hourly base.

Thanks for the opportunity to voice.

Ted Rohde
Central Illinois