Export to US between privates

Barrie Heaton piano@a440.co.uk
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 20:28:25 +0100

In message <002c01c1e2e0$5c127630$cf71c850@ordinateursteph>, Stéphane
Collin <collin.s@skynet.be> writes
>In the case a private person from Europe sells a piano to a private
>person in US, is there any VAT charged at the customs in US ? Is there

All good leaving the EEC are VAT free.  VAT is only charged on goods
sold in the EEC or Imported into the EEC.  However, there is a tariff on
importing new pianos in to the US collected by the US costumes at point
of entry,  but I don't know about S/hand pianos.  A phone call to the US
embassy in Belgium should shed a light on if there is and how much, but
it will be the person in the US who foots the bill not you.

OTOH   Importing from the USA is a rip off, as far a VAT is concerned.
You pay import duty then you pay VAT on the good and the duty,  so you
are taxed on the Tax @17%.

Barrie,
--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/