estimate check list

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:28:42 EDT

In a message dated 15/04/02 11:04:18 AM, davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

<< There's no way to have an estimate that covers all possible contingencies,

that's why it's an estimate. >>

David, et al;
 Interesting watching some of the takes on this thingee so far.
What I provide my customers is a 'quote' not an "estimate"....let me explain:
A quote means that I will perform the stated work for such and such a
figure..that figure is firm and is based on my judgement from my thorough
examination of the piano beforehand.  As some have said there might be things
show up during or after teardown...I recognize that>.... The way I protect
myself, and my customer, is by adding the folowing phrase:
" This quote covers only those items specifically mentioned and any
additional work will create additional costs to the owner, after owner
approval."
  Of course for this to be effective the 'quote' must be comprehensive and
complete, i.e. no nebulous terminology such as 'rebuild the action',
'restring the piano' rather it should spell out 'exactly' what is going to be
done under the quote.
 The next question is......do I nickel and dime the owner to death?...no not
at all.
 I willing cover those 'minor' things that pop up during a rebuild it is the
'major' stuff, like powder post beetle infestation of the tenor bridge which
is undiscovered until after tear down that gets an extra
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)