toys

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:19:55 -0500

>Use to use those when I was a weather observer in the Air Force back in
>1966.
>
>How do you use them to tune and repair pianos?
>

>Wayne Lutzow

Well, I don't much. That's why I couldn't justify buying a new one. Doing
soundboard work in the shop, for instance, I'd like a reasonably accurate
idea of the RH% to estimate relative drying and rehydration rates. Glue
open time changes with humidity too, though knowing exact RH% isn't awfully
critical. I do carry a little Whatman hygrometer for logging temperature
and RH% with tunings, and I've always wanted a simple way to check it's
accuracy from time to time. Now, I have a closer standard for calibration.
Since slinging a foot long flail with glass tubes full of mercury in the
customer's living room would worry me nearly as much as it would the
customer, I can carry the digital and save the slinging for the shop, or
special occasions. And I dearly love precision tools, which is reason
enough for me all by itself.

Ron N