Charging for Pitch Raises

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 04:45:57 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: William R. Monroe=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 6:26 PM
  Subject: Charging for Pitch Raises

  I was reading an old essay (PTJ August '90) by Rick Baldassin =
regarding Piano Tuning Stability.  Within that article, Rick writes =
about tuning for a concert and remarks that after a rehearsal, the =
treble was really out.  'Why?  The treble notes were too far out of tune =
to create a stable tuning in one pass on the tuning.'  He stated that =
when he tuned the instrument prior to the rehearsal, the 6th and 7th =
octaves were flat, 'maybe as much as four cents.'

  So, in a nutshell, if your piano is four cents flat, your tuning will =
not be stable (for a concert level tuning). =20

  My questions:
   1.) Really?  Is four cents flat too much to get a stable concert =
tuning?

  2.) For our regular clients, when do we begin charging for a pitch =
raise, 5 cents, 10 cents, 20 cents?  I realize that neither all clients, =
nor their instruments will require this level tuning, but where do we =
draw the line and say we must raise pitch to get a stable tuning?

  I am very interested to hear as many opinions on this one as possible.

  Thank you,

  William R. Monroe
  PTG Associate
  Salt Lake City, UT

      Yes, 4 cents flat is probably too flat to get a stable concert =
tuning in one pass.  Back when people referred to beats per second (at A =
49) more often than cents, someone at a seminar said that anything more =
than 2 beats per second flat would require a pitch raise to be stable in =
one pass.  I find (in the home, not concert tunings) that that's about =
right most of the time. =20
      For clients, whether regular or not, I suppose you should charge =
extra for any tuning that requires more passes to stabilize than one on =
a piano that's already at pitch.  I don't think I've ever done a =
"one-pass tuning".  It's always once through to do the initial tuning, =
then another time through to re-tune the ones that slipped, then I take =
out the ear plugs and go through again for a final touch-up.  The second =
two "passes" are very quick and are considered part of the tuning.  =20
      If I had even a nickel for every free pitch raise I've done, I =
could probably buy a new couch or something.  Sometimes I just don't =
want to go drag the customer away from what they're doing to tell them =
there's going to be an extra charge.  Sometimes I charge and sometimes I =
don't -- I know, that's inconsistent, but since the pitch raise takes =
only 10 or 15 minutes, I usually just quickly bang it out rather than go =
get them to give 'em the lecture about tension, humidity, dryness, =
string stretching, tuning every 6 months, etc.  Even if I do, it doesn't =
do any good.  They still wait 2 to10 years before they get it tuned =
again, even if I leave literature about it.  I've almost given up on =
explaining about and charging for pitch raises.  Almost all pianos I =
tune need one, except those that get tuned every year (schools, piano =
teachers), and even some of those need a "quickie raise or lower" in the =
middle, depending what season it was when they were last tuned. =20
        I dunno, for me it's easier to have the charge for a pitch raise =
figured in to the "regular" base fee, and if it doesn't need a p.r., =
give them a $10 or $15 discount.      --David Nereson, RPT, Denver