toys

Wayne R. Lutzow wrlutzow@garlic.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:08:11 -0700

Hi Don,

Maybe I was trying to be a little facetious when I asked that question about
sling psychrometers.

I'm new to the piano tuning business and to this group and I really
appreciate all the great information I find here but I find it kind of old
fashion to use a sling psychrometer instead of some of the more modern
technology that makes the job easier.

When I was in Air Weather Service many of the instruments we used made our
job easier. The ceilometer (I think that's what it use to be called) was an
instrument that calculated ceiling heights around 3500 feet. You looked into
an eye piece (like the old hand crank silent movies in fun houses) and saw a
picture of where the cieling was and it was measured in feet. That was much
easier than simply going outside, looking at the sky, and saying "The
ceiling looks like it's about 3500ft." And believe me we had to do that.

We also stood outside on the tower ramp crankin' that ole sling psychrometer
and then used a round plastic calculator to actually figure out the RH. (Boy
you're really making me think about all those things I'd forgotten about).

Point is:

Is a sling psychrometer really a more accurate device and is it worth the
time?

I like tools too and that stuff is fun and interesting but does it do a
better job.

Wayne