Charging for Pitch Raises

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:55:25 -0400

My experience has been that the more off pitch the piano, the less tuning stability it will have.

I just gave an estimate for doing some refurbishing on a 1947 Kimball studio (really bizarre - original owner - looks like a nice 20-year-old piano!) and a 175-cent pitch raise and a tuning. I plan on two pitch-raise passes, and one tuning pass. I don't try for the full overpull on the first pitch raise pass because for one, I fear overstretching the string (I've heard it is best to not go more than about 25 cents sharp, or deformation could occur), and second, the final result would be hard to get within two cents of target on that big a pitch raise anyway - so why go for it in one pass. So the first pass I will likely target about 20-cents sharp - I will likely end up with the whole piano about 25 or 30 cents flat. Then I will do a pitch raise with the appropriate overpull and get it real close to target. Then follow up with tuning pass.

I don't understand this "let's raise the piano up 50 cents this time and tune it, then next time we tune we will raise it another 50 cents, etc., etc." The strings will either hold A440 or they won't. Pianos should be at A440 (well, most anyway). Just bring the darn thing up to pitch and tune it.

Older pianos sometimes surprise you. I have had a few old uprights that I have raised pitch 200 cents, and come back a year or two later and they are still right up at pitch - course, may will fall back a bit also.

Also regarding pianos below pitch. Maybe the owner wants to save a bit of money and thinks it would be a good idea to tune it flat. I try to talk them out of it because usually, if the piano is way flat, it is so far out of tune anyway. Like this Kimball I looked at tonight, it was only about 100 cents flat in the bass, but was about 200 cents flat in the upper treble. I would have to do a pitch correction pass on this rascal anyway just to tune it flat - so why not just go up to standard pitch!

And I charge extra for pitch raises. I charge extra for each pitch raise pass. I really like the idea of selling and block of time for a service call of 1.5 or more hours. That is slick. That makes so many things easier. Maybe some day when I have more confidence that my client base will support that, I will try it.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Kurta" <mkurta@adelphia.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: Charging for Pitch Raises

    Bill, there are a lot of variables involved in how stable a piano might be after a pitch raise and fine tuning.  The major one in my mind is how far out was it to begin with.  The worst I've seen was 3 semitones flat.  After tuning one note, the next one up in chromatic sequence (untuned) was in perfect harmony a third below the one I'd just tuned!!  WOW.  I'm sure this piano would be drifting flat within 2 weeks even after a pitch raise and tune.  That brings up another point.  How many technicians raise pitch in increments in this case?  I find no reason not to yank each string over pitch by 1/3 of the flatness no matter how flat it is.  String breakage does not seem to be a problem, and 40-50 cents over is not unusual.  However in talking to those in our Syracuse chapter leaving the piano below pitch, or raising in 10-20 cent steps until the proper pitch is reached it most common.  Any comments?     Mike Kurta  PNO2NER