Charging for Pitch Raises

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:25:34 -0400

On Thursday, April 18, 2002, at 07:08 AM, Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> =A0 I think my worst case scenario was twelve torn strings, when it =
ewas=20
> important to the family to have the piano tuned to pitch.
>

> So this leaves me with a dilemma on these old in-my-opinion nearly=20
> worthless pianos owned by young families with very limited resources.=A0=
=20
> Do I simply take a "that's too bad, buddy" attitude and say it's got =
to=20
> be the whole way up to pitch to please me?=A0

It's not just "to please you." You're trying to get the instrument to as=20=

near as "to specs" as possible, and you don't need to feel guilty about=20=

it. Ain't your fault the wire is brittle after 8 decades.
I wasn't pleased when the "technician" at the "tires brakes etc"=20
establishment that I've done business with for over 20 years decided to=20=

grind down my brake drums "just a bit" past specs, doubtless thinking he=20=

was "saving me money" -- so my brakes completely froze up 3 weeks later,=20=

trashing all the work that had been done, blowing out my day's schedule=20=

while I had it towed back to the shop to have  the "complete" job done.
There's not much point in *offering* to do "incomplete service", like=20
maintaining an instrument considerably below pitch, etc. but somehow=20
many of us do sometimes "cave in" (the Little Old Lady with the=20
crumbling sheet music comes to mind; somehow it never occurs to me that=20=

her house is probably worth over $700K).
Oh well ... have a good day,
Patrick Draine

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available