aural/electronic tuning and PTG rules

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:33:31 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mickey Kessler=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 7:47 AM
  Subject: Re: aural/electronic tuning and PTG rules

  At 09:46 PM 4/16/02 -0400, you wrote:

    By the way, what's the best way to find out exactly what the RPT =
tests
    involve and how they are scored? I tried to find out one day, and I
    browsed through every bit of litterature I had. Either I missed it, =
or I
    didn't have the right litterature.

  Charles:

  In the PTG publication "The Tuning Examination -- A Source Book" =
(available through PTG; I got mine at the San Diego convention) there is =
an extensive discussion of the tests. =20

  In my opinion, the book is invaluable.  In addition to descriptions of =
the tests and scoring procedures, the book is packed with useful and =
practical information and ideas.

  Mark (Mickey) Kessler=20

      I've been helping give the written and technical exams for years =
now.  The written is 100 questions on general piano construction and =
basic service procedures.  The technical exam has 3 parts:  vertical =
regulation, grand regulation, and repair.  For vertical reg., you have =
an hour to assemble and regulate a 3-note action model, determining key =
height from the fallboard and key slip, and blow from other regulation =
parameters.  For grand reg., you have an hour to assemble and regulate a =
1-note action model, including bending damper wires and re-regulating =
the damper system.  Again, only key height is given.  For repairs, you =
have to string an empty unison, make a hitch pin loop for a single =
string, and splice a broken string in 20 minutes.  That's where most =
examinees fall down or run out of time.  And you have to replace a =
broken upright hammer shank in 20 min.  Then there's filing a couple =
hammers, rebushing a key, rebushing and repinning a grand shank . . =
that's about it. =20
      You have to pass each of the 3 parts with at least 80%.  Two RPTs =
are required to give the exam and to confer on scoring.  If you fail one =
part, you can retest within a year.  But if more than a year goes by, =
you have to take the whole test over again. =20
      Have never given the tuning test -- there are plenty of articles =
and literature about it.  And there are source books from the home =
office for the technical test as well.  As for the written, ask an RPT =
to go through the Pre-Screening manual with you.  Shouldn't take more =
than a half-hour or so over a cup of coffee.        --David Nereson, =
RPT, Denver