advice on Rieger Kloss R123

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:37:57 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/02 10:13:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
draine@attbi.com writes:

> Dear List,
> Does anyone have any comments on the Rieger Kloss upright model model
> R123 (48"), beyond Larry Fine's brief entry?
> I have a customer who's leaning toward buying a new one (no I haven't
> yet inspected it).

 Patrick,

I have worked in a shop where these are sold.  Rieger-Kloss was our best
selling upright.  They are european, relatively inexpensive when compared
with other euro pianos, and they have a nice, warm sound.  Most of the
problems I encountered with them were pretty minor and easily fixable.  Like
Paul stated, there were sometimes false beats in the treble.  I had a couple
where the keyslip was warped.  Definitely not the same quality control as
Yamaha or Kawai, but I've found that these pianos have far more character
than their Japanese or Korean counterparts(totally subjective input.....)

As far as I know, Weber bought them.  I'm surprised to hear that they were
purchased by Bechstein.  Quality control will improve, but price undoubtedly
won't!

Dave Stahl