advertising

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:20:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mickey,

I think you've gotten some good advice so far.

If I were starting out in the tuning business, I
would certainly place an ad in a Pennysaver type
paper.  It needn't necessarily be a big ad
either.  In my initial efforts back in the early
80's, the three lines in the classified section
did about as well as a big border ad.  (Food for
thought.  A bigger ad doesn't necessarily bring
bigger results.)

Another possibility is hooking up with a dealer
or dealers in your area.  Some are easier to work
with than others.  Some will send you tuning
customers just for the asking.  Some will want a
percentage.  Some will want you to "work for
them".  Every situation is a little different.

Other techs in your area might be a resource too.
 Are there some techs that are booked way, way
out and might need someone to send some of their
overflow to?  Maybe they would even like to get
rid of some of their customers for a variety of
reasons, not all of them bad.  They could be too
far out of their normal travel area or pianos
they don't like working on (maybe tuning uprights
hurts their back??) or even customers who they
just don't get along with personally (it
happens).

You'll probably want to be in the phone book, but
it could be argued that anything more than a
listing (as in one or maybe even two lines to say
"I'm here" and a phone number) is not the best
use of hard earned $$.  When I did have an ad in
the phone book, the calls I got were usually
because of the business name (which implies what
I work on) or my location relative to them.

I've tried radio a few times, but didn't find it
to be particularly successful.

TV is ok if you're rich, but I suspect if you
were rich, you wouldn't want to be tuning pianos!

A letter of post card to churchs and schools (and
teachers), and perhaps a personal visit to drop
off a business card might be some pretty cheap
advertising.

A magnetic sign for your car might be good.

A professional looking work shirt with your
company name and a piano type logo might give an
opportunity to give out a few business cards to
people interested enough to comment on them, even
if it's just someone in the grocery store.
(Those "someone" type people in the grocery store
might just have a piano, and if they don't, they
probably know someone...  talk to people!)

One last thing...  The PTG home office can hook
you up with a "Business Resource Manual" if you
want.  It's got a lot of ideas in it on how to
get your business going.

Good luck,

Brian T.

=====