advertising

Greg Casper gcasper@pacbell.net
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:45:47 -0700

Greg Casper
San Jose, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Mickey Kessler
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 6:52 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: advertising

After lots of dedicated study and practice I'm about ready to hang out a
shingle and go to work for money.

I'm considering running a classified ad in the local PennySaver.  This can
reach about 80,000 households a week in the driveable neighborhood here in
L.A., all with generally quite high annual incomes.  The ads cost about
$250 for six weeks.  I figure if only 5% of the households have pianos, and
if only 1% of those answer the ad and result in booked jobs, I'll more than
break even.  (I pulled those percentages out of the air, but they seem like
safe guesses.)

Has anybody used the PennySaver?  Did it bring you in any business?  How do
you generally promote your business?  I seldom see ads for piano
technicians -- is that because it isn't effective, or is it because there's
plenty of business around without advertising?

Thanks for any info or advice you can offer.

Mark (Mickey) Kessler