Peterson tuners, how accurate?

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:00:50 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the responses so far. To respond back:

Ric, it's true the Peterson doesn't do real-time inharmonicity readings.
They have a set of presets, as people have pointed out. You can manually
change them if you want. It's funny how they advertise. They refer to the
confusing LED's on other brands, and mention that you can't REALLY get a
good tuning curve just by sampling three notes as other brands do.

Don, I now use TuneLab on a stationary computer next to the piano. I'll
probably get a cheap laptop so I can be mobile with it. That seems like a
good solution. But I'm looking around at other things as well, just to be
well-informed. I agree that a Journal article on the subject would be
great. Not so much a buyer's guide, but a technical comparison.

Ron, that makes sense to not be distracted by the "precision", but to also
consider what it is comparing the note to.

Charles