Speaking of Advertising

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@bwsys.net
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:47:16 -0500

A lot of what Jon says is true. However as nice as word of mouth
advertising is! It's not the best way for a new business to get jump
started. It's takes far too long. Use the yellow pages! They do work. No
need to have a large add. In our area a one inch add is $34 a month. I
get far more than enough business to pay for this time and again. Even a
single line listing works fine.  A lot of people just go down the list
and call till they get someone home.

I will share with you one of the best tips that I know. Get a cell
phone! Have your business phone at the shop transfered directly to the
cell number. Do not miss the call. They will often not leave a message,
only go on to try to find someone to take the call and book the tuning.
Yes I get calls while I tuning, yes even when I'm talking to the
customer. I explain that I have the calls transfered so I can alway be
reached. The customers love that idea. No one as ever objected to me
taking a call. I do often step outside If I need to discuss something.

Use a sign on your vehicle. I've gotten many tuning from folks coming
into churches looking for the piano tuner that must be inside. Hand out
lots of cards. Get small magnetic business cards with a place to write
the tuning date. Most customers will put them on the frig as a reminder
of your name and number. I've had very little luck contacting churches
directly. I've found most music directors or piano players do the
picking of tuners not the ministers.
My first year in business I tuned 6 pianos in March. By the third year
in March I was up to 37. I'm a retired engineer and really didn't want
to work quite that hard so I regulate the type and number of calls I
take.
Get to work a week take off a few days to fish or golf. Then back to the
shop and calls. I hope I have given you a couple of ideas that will
help. Rich Snelson