Charging for Pitch Raises

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 16:32:33 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> A piano can't be tuned well unless it's already in tune. A piano that's
> more than four cents flat needs a pitch raise. Pitch raises are done in
> fifteen minutes or less. The pitch raise isn't a tuning, it's just intended
> to get the tensions up close to where they need to be.
>
> So five cents flat isn't close enough but a ten or fifteen minute
> non-critical rough-in from thirty, or even fifteen cents away will be. I
> don't know about you, but I would love to see someone do, say, a 20 cent
> pitch raise in under 15 minutes leaving the entire piano with no string
> more than 3 cents off pitch. That would impress me.

I kind of have to believe there are at least a few fellows / gals out there who
can thus impress, but wonder I do, sorely if there aren't also significant
numbers of folk out there pushing unduly the limits of what they are capable
of, rooted in some perception of these acts of demonic speed as virtuous goals
in themselves.

I  think no one need feel that their skills are somehow found in wont for lack
of ability to raise pitch acurately in 15 minutes... or even in 30. Nor do I
feel such derogorous self assesment need be precipatated over the time it takes
to tune a piano at all.

If one leaves the piano only after your work is accomplished satisfactorilly,
then what matter really the time it takes ??

> This isn't the only thing bothering me about the discussion, but it will do
> for the moment. I'll get to the rest eventually.

grin... I cant wait for the rest.

> Ron N

"That, is why you fail"  Yoda,  Star Wars,  The Empire Strikes Back

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.