1935 Story & Clark

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 20:06:43 +0200

eipiano@msn.com wrote:

> Looked at an instrument yesterday purchased by a local woman from someone
> claiming to have "rebuilt" it.
>
> 1935(?) Story & Clark 4'5" Baby Grand serial # 134536
>
> Appeared to have all original parts (included dirt, dust); lyre bolts have
> been stripped, keys tops have been poorly recoverd with odds & ends pieces,
> fall board has been replaced, but nice looking case. Lots of rattles and a
> sluggish action, pins are tight.
>
> The woman is a talented musician with little money and has put $1000 down
> with $1500 owed.
>
> Her decision:  Return it for the $1000....OR have some work done and use it
> for a trade.
>
> A good cleaning, regulation, pitch raise, some voicing and key tops will do
> wonders, but it will never be a fine instrument.
>
> Opinions?

My considered opinion is that anyone who buys a "rebuilt" grand piano for 2500
dollars pretty much deserves what they get.  Considering the price of a new
medium priced instrument, it doesnt take much reasoning prowress to figure out
that 2500 dollars is probably not going to buy you much more then the
proverbial prime plot at the bottom of Lake Michigan.

Tell her to get her money back and save up for something worth buying.

JMV

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.