1935 Story & Clark

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 13:19:18 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/02 4:25:17 PM !!!First Boot!!!, eipiano@msn.com
writes:

> The woman is a talented musician with little money and has put $1000 down
> with $1500 owed.
>
> Her decision:  Return it for the $1000....OR have some work done and use it
> for a trade.
>
> A good cleaning, regulation, pitch raise, some voicing and key tops will do
> wonders, but it will never be a fine instrument.
>
> Opinions?
>                              Thanks in advance.
>
>                                                 Walter Slack

Although returning the $1000 sounds like an option, it might not be possible.
Have your customer check the sales contract. If it says "All Sales Final,"
she's stuck with the instrument. He is under no obligation to refund the
money. If she refuses the pay the balance, he could take her to court.

My suggestion is to try to get her to renegotiate the selling price, or have
him pay you, or someone else, to do the work that is needed. But again, that
will be his option. Again, check the sales contract. If there is wording in
there that the piano has been "reconditioned," or in any way infers that work
has been done, that in your opinion, has not been done, the he has to do it
to your customer's satisfaction.

Be careful. Only act as an adviser to your customer. Do not get personally
involved, unless she agrees to have you do so on her behalf.

Wim