Regluing Ivory

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:02:09 -0400

I have a keyboard looming in my near future where +25% of the ivory is off.

Before I start fashioning jigs, has anyone devised a means to keep the ivory
in place while the hot glue sets under the heated ivory plate.

Once the heated plate is clamped, the ivory has a tendency to slide on the
water
layer underneath. Some means is needed to secure the ivory on the key and not
interfere with the plate.

I have tried all types of other adhesives and am convinced that hot hide glue
mixed 5 to 1 with titanium oxide (show white) is the best, longest-lasting
method
not to mention authentic.

I am trying one now using spring clamps on the sides to hold the ivory in
place.
This might be the easiest way.  These side clamps would not need to stay on as
long as the plate clamp, just long enough for the glue to set up.  I
usually leave the
ivory clamped for at least three hours when simply securing loose fronts.
Would a longer time period be more beneficial for a full length ivory glue set?

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com