Restringing/1lb. coils/tips

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:36:13 -0700

All,
I've been using the canisters for quite a while. There are a few tips that
might help. 1. turn the tips of the "holder" tabs up, so that they will
contact the underside of the canister lid, when you screw it down. This
eliminates the possibility of the tabs tangling with the wire. 2. With
Schaff wire there is a tag on the outside wire, that states "Start here" or
some such. The tag also has the wire size on it. DO NOT "start" there! Pull
from the center of the spool. 3. I always put a 90degree bend in the wire,
with about 2"-3" "tail". When you put the wire away, you will see the "tail"
across the hole and you can grab it with your needle nose pliers to get it
up through the hole, the next time you want to use it. 4. When storing wire,
as in a Genck case, I use the Silica Gel packs out of the new pianos, in the
case to retard moisture buildup in the case. Take them out, every so often
and put them in a warm oven for an hour or so, to drive the collected
moisture out of them. 5. ALWAYS check the wire size of a new spool of wire
to make sure it's what it's supposed to be. I've had a couple of spools
mis-labeled!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)