Restringing

K.divad@AOL.COM K.divad@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:15:41 -0400

In a message dated Mon, 22 Apr 2002  7:58:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Marcel Carey" <mcpiano@globetrotter.net> writes:

>What I don't like about the 1 lb coils, is that the wire has much more twist
>to it than the 5 lb roll. I don't know if the wire is rolled when still hot,
>but I prefer the 5 lb because it has less tendency to bunch up and twist as
>I string the piano. I was led to believe that when the wire gets twisted it
>can produce false beats. It was never proven to me, but still I prefer the
>larger coils. I bought plastic containers ( like tupperware but cheaper
>ones) and cut a large hole on the top. Even if the container is square, the
>large hole out of wich comes out the wire make them behave just like the
>cans.

We use the tin cans you put candy in and 5# coils of wire.  The cans are about 8 inches in diameter and about 4 inches tall.  Cut a silver dollar size hole in the center of the lid, slip a 5# coil in and unleash it (carefully!!) and slide the loose end of the wire through the hole.  The wire pulls out beautifully and allows you to install it with no twists.  We also put a pencil lead size hole in the top of the can so when you are done you simply slide the excess wire back into the can and stick the loose end through the small hole to contain it.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW