Soundboard Installation & MC

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:22:29 -0500

>What argument would there be for drying prior to installation?

I assume you mean what *good* argument.

>Has this become the "standard" because the "masters" did it that way back
>when it was a fact that the rim supported the crown?

I still find it hard to believe that anyone who has ribbed a dried down
soundboard and watched it crown without being anywhere near a rim could
credit the rim for the crown. Those "masters" weren't sitting on their
duffs in the advertising department pulling concepts and copy out of thin
air. They were out there in the shop getting sticky from the hide glue, for
which they appreciated the increased working time brought by pre-heating
the panel.

>I suppose if you flat ribbed it and dried the bajeezers out of it, the rim
>just might help to hold a bit of crown - at least until it got off the
>showroom floor!
>
>Terry Farrell

Maybe. It's sort of hard to tell what part of the failed crown the rim was
supposed to have supported. Then again, who's to say that the rim isn't
still doing a heroic job of doing it's part of supporting crown,  long
after the crown is gone?

Ron N