Soundboard Installation & MC

Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:39:32 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: April 23, 2002 4:12 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboard Installation & MC

> What argument would there be for drying prior to installation?

With a compression-crowned board? It is easier to work with and glue into
the rim if it is dry, having little crown.

With a rib-crowned board there is just the matter of consistency. You don't
want the board too dry or too wet--both have a negative affect on the glue
bonding strength. We rib our boards at 6.5% and glue them in at 6.5% to
7.5%.

> Has this become the "standard" because the "masters" did it that way back
when it was a fact that the rim supported the crown?

It has never been a 'fact' that the piano rim supports the crown though many
have believed this over the years. Some argument can be made that beveling
the rim--as is the practice of some--does have some nominal effect on
soundboard crown, but it is very short-lived. Consider that this effect is
greatest in the treble region of the soundboard panel and yet this is the
region that typically looses its crown--certainly the stiffness related to
crown--the earliest in a compression-crowned soundboard system. Obviously,
the effect is minimal.

> I suppose if you flat ribbed it and dried the bajeezers out of it, the rim
just might help to hold a bit of crown - at least until it got off the
showroom floor!

If the rim actually did support crown you'd never see a M&H with a flat
board!

Wood--primarily the spruce used in the soundboard system--simply has too
much compliance and is to susceptible to long-term creep for the rim to have
any real function in sustaining crown.

Del