Convincing the Client

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:31:38 -0400

Terry,
I'm not the final authority on the all the Palm programs available, and
quite honestly my approach still needs quite a bit of tweaking.
I have PTBiz on my desktop, which if you remember from previous posts, I'm
not that thrilled with (due to many refraining blocks the author as decided
to limit us to). My one year goal is to switch over to a different database
which incorporate both.
I think Dean Reyburn is trying to put his RCT program plus his database
program PSM on the Compaq.
With the Palm you have the choice of several directions to go, all will do
the trick with some careful thought.
Originally I used the Palm Desktop program which isn't all that bad. It had
the ability to communicate with some other programs, but you won't be able
to communicate with PTBiz.
Then I tried Pendagram at the advise of Jeannie Grassi ($149) with a trial
period which had a lot of potential.
Time and Chaos is another (free trial with minimum cost).
But I've settled into using Microsoft Outlook only because it's workings are
close to the Palm plus  I had it on the desktop all ready. Outlook packs a
bigger punch than the Palm Desktop.  So basically I keep two  programs
current  when I make an appointment. If it 's a new customer  I toggle into
PTBiz and set up the database and all the particulars. I keep this going
because I like the tickler capabilities which the Palm or Outlook doesn't
have.
I also keep a basic duplicate ( name,phone #) in the Palm for fast
reference.
Then the day to day stuff all gets put onto Outlook and gets downloaded
daily into the Palm.
I'm still hoping there are some computer whizs out there ready to seize this
opportunity and write a definitive program for our business utilizing the
PDA and the desktop.
Finance programs: Two favorites
Pocket Money ($29) and  Quicken Lite. Both are great little programs
designed to have different categories and subcategories to keep track of
income and expenses. I use Pocket Money and have it tweaked it rather well.
Once a month I upload all the data into Quicken which eliminates a bunch of
hours of data entry which takes valuable time away from  chasing lobsters
 one of my past time vices). Then all the gas receipts, shop supply
purchases, invoices, etc. are safely entered and done with.
Once you get the hang of the day to day routines the PDA will astound you on
how much more you are organized.  And I not kidding when I say income will
improve. My business took a major climb since I started using the Palm.
For the record I use the Palm M105, far short of the most advance PDAs out
there. This is my second one and I bought this one only because it was a
good value for the dollar. Now they are down to $129 where a year ago they
were around $200. I'm waiting for the big powerful PDAs to drop in price
before I update to the next level.
By the way I'll be operating one of the stations at the Cyber Cafe at the
Chicago convention. Would be glad to share and swap ideas if any want to
drop by. I think it's the only PALM PILOT station.
Tom Servinsky,RPT