"Old School Teachings"

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:43:47 EDT

>My question: Why is it that many "old school" piano tuners "tune it where
>it lies". I can understand the old upright worries (although I find they
>are usually not justified), but not a 30 year old piano. I can only assume
>they were taught that way. Is that correct?

Greetings,
    I don't think so.  I would be inclined to say laziness.  Or possibly,
they were fearful to try to sell the more expensive work and rather than
explain the charges, just tuned it where it was.  Whatever, it is poor
workmanship and a hazard to the development of young children's sense of
pitch, so I consider them bums for doing it that way. (and it is still going
on!)
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT